py & Paste This Code:

Monday, January 26, 2009

Cullinary Adventures

Yesterday I attempted to cook. As my roommates can testify I have tried before with varying results. I did succeed in making chocolate pancakes. (See www.cheftessbakeresse.com for the recipe) One of the first things the recipe calls for is melted butter. that's all well and good, because you just put the butter in a glass bowl and put it in the microwave on a low power setting for 30-45 seconds. One problem. I don't have a microwave. I have never had that problem before. It's almost like saying "I don't have air" or "I don't have my teeth" It's just not something I've ever thought about before. so I put it in a glass bowl on the stove. It worked, and in my book that's all that counts. They were messy and oddly shaped, but they tasted good. I was especially proud of myself for doing it without measuring cups. I just got a small cup and eyeballed it. I couldn't believe it actually worked. The produced some dishes too, but I did them before I went to church. Hold the snide remarks about me and dishes please, I've heard them already.

The fun part was when I made dinner. I started at 4 to have it done by 6. I made Mexican Quiche. It only takes 35-45 minutes to bake, but I figured since it was me making it I needed to leave room for mishaps. The first mishap was the cheese. I bought the least expensive block of Colby jack cheese I could find. The problem, as I discovered was that the cheapest block is equivalent to one cup and the recipe calls for two. The only answer I could figure was to grate my Colby jack cheese sticks. It was too bad because I really like those cheese sticks a lot. That took some time. The rest went well, until I needed to put in the Green Chile. It suddenly occurred to me that a can opener is very useful when one wants to open a can. Unfortunately the only numbers I had of ward members were the ones on my church program. Fortunately I went on a date with the elders quorum president last Monday. I called and he remembered who I was. Even better, he had a can opener. I invited him over for dinner after, but he had already eaten. The good news is that the quiche turned out very well. Danica, my dinner guest, agreed as well. And I pulled it out of the oven at 5:55. Is that good or is that good? I agree , it's good.

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite! You made the chocolate pancakes?! Awesome! Need those tomorrow? Love you! I'm excited for girl time...even if I am a little snotty and stuffed up. It will be fun! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, so here's the real question: Do you now own a can opener? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I do. It's almost too bad, the elder's quorum president is cute.

    ReplyDelete